· UNIV099 is a zero-credit Internship Seminar that is designed to complement supervised internship experiences of undergraduate students and graduate students.
· This course is open to all majors, and it should help students reflect upon their internship experience, as well as their academic coursework.
· UNIV099 is offered Fall, Winter, Spring, and Summer semesters.
· Students can repeat UNIV099 (unless the student receives an F for not completing the course requirements in any given semester).
· UNIV099 does not require students to attend any lectures, seminars, or classes.
How to Register (Click here for step-by-step screenshots)
1. Visit www.careers.umd.edu and click on the “Careers4Terps” link. Log in using your UID. If you have not used “Careers4Terps” before or have not signed in this semester, you will be asked to update your information before you can access the application.
2. Once you have signed in, click “UNIV099 Application” under the C4T Quicklinks section on the right side of the homepage.
3. Start a new application by clicking “Add New”.
4. Fill out the “Student Information Form”, “Internship Information”, and “Learning Contract”. This is all located in the first tab. You MUST print this form, have your Internship Supervisor sign it, and return it back to the University Career Center BEFORE you start your internship.
5. Submit the SIGNED form, along with an official offer letter and job description to the University Career Center by email (firstname.lastname@example.org), dropping them off at the University Career Center (3100 Hornbake Library, South Wing), OR faxing them to 301-314-9114 – Attn: UNIV099.
Ø The offer letter has to include:
§ Company/Organization letterhead
§ Statement that specifies that this experience is an internship and how it connects to your academic coursework
§ Internship start date and end date. If you are an international student, these dates need to fall within the beginning and end of the term for which you are applying.
§ Exact number of hours per week
§ Physical address of the workplace (only having the address listed in the letterhead DOES NOT meet this requirement)
§ Name of your internship supervisor
§ Internship Position description
6. Check your email. A University Career Center staff member will review your paperwork and will email you (PLEASE ALLOW UP TO 5 BUSINESS DAYS) regarding course registration.
7. Register for UNIV099 on Testudo after you have received an email from the University Career Center saying that you have permission to register.
8. Make the payment online at http://bursar.umd.edu/index.php and click on "Pay Online Here". The fee for the Spring/Fall is $60 and for the Summer/Winter is $30.
9. International Students -After receiving registration authorization, take copies of the following documents to your International Student and Scholar Services Advisor (ISSS):
Ø Offer letter
Ø Learning Contract
Ø Receipt of payment
Deadline to Register:
There is not a deadline to register for UNIV099. However, if you try to register for UNIV099 after the drop/add period, you will receive a message that says “the schedule adjustment period” has passed. You will then need to contact your academic advisor to complete your registration. Visit the academic deadlines calendar to see the drop/add deadline.
Documentation & What You Need to Do
MINIMUM of 75 hours
Complete MINIMUM of 75 hours at your internship site by the end of the semester.
You will submit a timesheet signed by you AND your supervisor at work, detailing the number of hours worked each week. The total number has to add up to 75 hours or more.
Documentation & What You Need to Do
Submit a Self-evaluation, describing what you accomplished during the internship and how it helped you (or did not help) clarify or reach your career goals
Fill out online form in Careers4Terps called “Student Self-Evaluation”.
Submit a reflection assignment, summarizing what you have learned and making a connection to your classroom learning
Fill out online form in Careers4Terps called “Reflection Assignment”.
Submit a timesheet detailing the hours you interned each week, signed by you and your supervisor
Download the timesheet in Canvas and submit either through email (email@example.com) or drop it off in our Center (3100 Hornbake Library, South Wing)
Your employer must submit an evaluation form for you a few weeks before the semester ends. Employers will receive an email with a link to your evaluation form directly from the University Career Center.
You can: update your supervisor’s email address in Careers4Terps; tell them to expect it; ask if they have received it; politely remind them to fill it out a few weeks after they receive it.
Submit an evaluation for this course
Fill out evaluation form online in Careers4Terps
“Course Evaluation” You can and should: be honest in your evaluation – your grade in this course has nothing to do with how you evaluate this course.
The course instructor will correspond with students to provide directions for how to submit the final Course Packet. Grades will be assigned on a Satisfactory/Failure (S/F) basis. Incomplete grades will automatically turn into Failures after 6 months.
For More Information:
Contact the course instructor at UNIV099@umd.edu or call the University Career Center at 301.405.0275.